You can teach a lot of good lessons with movies. Using the Spiderman Homecoming movie, you can teach your kids about finding common ground and friendship.
Spiderman Homecoming Lesson Plan
Can you be friends even if your parents are enemies? In Spiderman Homecoming, this is a question we find ourselves asking. In this film, Peter Parker has befriended (and is perhaps smitten by) Liz, who ends up being the daughter of his nemesis Toomes. Although Parker has the chance to destroy Toomes, he ends up turning him over to police instead, no doubt thinking of Liz and the friendship the two of them have.
So how do we find common ground and even friendship amongst our differences? While Spiderman Homecoming has numerous action packed scenes, this theme still resonates throughout. Use this theme to find ways to celebrate differences and find common ground even when it feels tricky.
How to Create a Character Comparison for Spiderman Homecoming:
Here is what you will need for this activity:
- scrap paper
- pen or marker
- small plate
Now let’s get started!
When making a character comparison chart or graph, I like to use a small plate as a stencil. That way my circles are perfect. You don’t have to use one if you don’t wish, and can simply freehand.
1. Begin by creating two identical circles next to each other so they are slightly overlapping.
2. You will label one circle Liz, and the other circle Peter.
3. Watch the movie and take notes on these characters. How are they the same? How are they different? What do they have in common?
4. On the outside circles, write down the characteristics that are unique to each character and make them different from each other. A few examples might be they are of different genders, different ethnic backgrounds, different family situations.
5. On the inside circle where the two overlap, write what makes them the same. A few examples might be their school interests, age, and the fact that they are both on the decathlon team.
6. Take time to discuss what they have in common in depth. How does this help their friendship? How can this common ground be used to help them grow?
7. Now look at the differences. How might these pose challenges? Better yet, how can they overcome these challenges?
Understanding what makes us different is important, but looking at what we have in common can help us further our relationships even more. Take the time to create this Spiderman Homecoming Character Comparison and see how it can help kids apply this type of thinking to their own lives.